Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine Day a Hallmark Holiday?

From candy and cards to dinner and diamonds, consumers will be opening their wallets to shower their sweeties with special gifts on Valentine's Day.

According to a National Retail Federation survey conducted by BIGresearch, the average consumer will spend $100.89 on the holiday, up slightly from $97.27 last year.

With 61 percent of consumers planning to celebrate, total Valentine's Day spending is expected to reach $13.7 billion, an increase from $13.19 billion in 2005.

Men will be the biggest spenders with the average male spending $135.67, almost double the $68.64 the average female will spend. The survey says 62 percent of consumers plan to purchase at least one card and 47 percent will buy candy.


How much did we spend as a family? Under $10 I don't remember the exact amount. It was for the kids cards, some cookies for the preschool and I made red pankcakes for breakfast. We really don't celebrate Valentine's Day. I think that it is a Hallmark Holiday. Every day is Valentine's Day and I don't need a day on the a calandar to remind me to tell my husband or kids that I love them. We did wish each other Happy Valentine day this morning and told him that I got everything that I actually need-him and the kids.

1 comment:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

My husband and I don't do V-day either. I suppose we'd have to send cards or something if we had a kid, but we just hate the "love=buy" aspect of it.

Yesterday we had a friend who is single over for tacos. Best V-day ever!