Sunday, August 12, 2007

Getting rid of the credit card junk mail

I hate credit card junk mail. I used to get 7-10 new offers a week for a new credit card. Luckily I opted out https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t My mail did decrease and so did my clutter!

In the meantime send back to them in their prepaid envelope The Dave Ramsey Credit Rebellion letter

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Your credit company has been chosen, out of all those in your area, to receive our special “Send us junk mail and get it back at your expense” deal.

I know this is not what you expected when you opened this envelope, but I did not expect your garbage when I opened my mailbox either. I considered sending the following

  1. One chain link, symbolizing the people you have enslaved
  2. One lollipop, symbolizing the suckers who use your credit cards every day
  3. One miniature American flag, representing the members of congress you bought to pass recent legislation
  4. One brand-new, stylish BRICK…representing the homes you have wrecked!

Many people on your mailing lists listen to The Dave Ramsey Show, so we are sending you the following suggestions instead:

  • Take us off your stupid mailing list!
  • Clean up your act, then your guilty conscience will let you sleep at night. No more will you jump at your own shadow, suffer night sweats, avoid eye contact with your children, or have terrible nightmares that are introduced by your former business partners, which feature three strange ghosts.
  • Upon receiving your offer in the mail I was excited to see I would have had the opportunity to pay several fees, including the application fee, the acceptance fee, the annual fee, AND the monthly user fee. Seeing how you are full of fees, perhaps I can interest you in my $250 unsolicited mail fee!

We, The Dave Ramsey Show listeners hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights that among these are: Life without credit card debt, Liberty from ridiculous interest rates, and the pursuit of happiness which will be achieved when you finally get the message: Reply THIS shark!!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, that's great! ha ha ha

I just opted out! I printed out the letter and will be sending it off tomorrow! Thanks for that!

I will also use Dave's letter for SO MUCH of the junk mail we get now! I never thought about sending back a "take me off of your mailing list letter" in their pre-paid envelopes! Great!

Sherry

Admin said...

Isn't it great letter!!

Lisa Kay said...

I do something similar - I put a Gospel Tract or a mini Bible with the plan of salvation in mind and sent them back.

You never know what might happen to the heart of the person who opens the envelope!

Have a good weekend,
Lisa Kay

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. With all the fraud stuff going on and people digging in the trash, so gross, this will help. We are trying to go debit free ourselves and don't need it.

Admin said...

Barbara I had someone digging through my trash today. I had thrown out some plastic drawns that were all cracked so that caught the dumpster diver's attention. I don't have a shredder but I rip everything up really good.

I was like yuck I don't dig through my own trash

Mom2fur said...

Thank you for that link! Those unsolicited offers for CCs drive me nuts...because I have to open them and put them through the shredder! Thanks, I have better things to do.
Don't you just love: "You've been pre-approved." Uhhh...isn't that like saying, "you aren't approved yet"?