Thursday, October 25, 2007

Flashback budget now vs then



I was born in 1970s I only can't really relate too much moneywise except the oil crisis and waiting long lines at the pump.

Liz Pullman gives an idea of what typical families expenses were in the 1970 in her flashback budget.

Smaller homes The average new home in 1970 took up less than 1,500 square feet. Today, new homes average more than 2,400 square feet.

Smaller cars 1 per household The 1973-74 oil crisis led to lines at the gas pumps and a new interest in fuel-efficient vehicles. But most households didn't have multiple tanks to fill. At the start of the 1970s, only 31% of households had more than one car, according to the U.S. Census Bureau; more than a quarter had no vehicles at all.

Less eating out Eating out used to be a fairly rare treat. Eating out just one less night a week could save a whopping $1,560 a year

Driving or train vacations I think my parents were an exception to this because my Dad is from Ireland but we made several trips back Ireland in the 1970s. However most families drove to the campground (we did plenty of that as well)

Families had 1 phone number And it wasn't a cell phone!

TV was free Cable really didn't start getting big until the early 80s! I remember fiddling around with the antenna many times trying to get the local channel to come on in.

1 comment:

MultipleMum said...

Ah! The good ol' days. I grew up in the 1970s. I kinda wish things could go back a bit. Do we really need all this stuff??? Thanks for joining the Weekend Rewind (I am late getting around to the blogs this week!). I don't think we have met before, so welcome! We are back on Jan 6. x