Friday, February 08, 2008

2008 financial goals-monthly check in

Each month I am going to do a check in to make sure I am on track for 2008!!

1) Continue to fund husband 401k to 15%

This is on automatic pilot!!


2) Increase monthly contribution to Roth $400 a month

I missed my January contribution but it is all set for Feb!!

3) $100 a month each (total $300) towards 529 for 2 sons and a mutual fund account for my 3rd son

On automatic withdrawals from my checking account!

4) Do estate planning

Why am I dreading on doing this I need to find a lawyer.

5) Big purchase a new used car. My husband's mini van is now 12 years old with 106,000 miles. This will probably be in the middle of the year. My 3 yr car loan will be done in June. I do not want to do a monthly payment of more than $250. We will use tax refunds plus my self employment tax savings (I save 25% of all of my money just in case) for the downpayment.

I am dreaming of Honda and Toyotas but I am really debating do I really want one of them vs a Chevy or a Dodge. I can get lower miles for less cost.


6) New couch We need them big time now.. just waiting for some sales.

No sales have caught my attention just yet!!

7) Save $200 a month towards bathroom remodel for 2009

My $200 in January went towards a new toliet. Our old toliet sprang a leak and we bought a toliet for $169. My husband and Dad installed it.

Additional thing we been meaning to change!

Adjusted husband tax withholdings at work to get more monthly back.


For February
Things are tight right now and my husband's commission checks really be cut. Ack. So more budgetting and NO EATING OUT! We have my son's friend's birthday sleepover this weekend and usually we would get pizza or Burger king for all the kids. Nope this year it will simply be hot dogs, mac and cheese and fries.

My electricity bill is going up and I am making sure all lights and radios are off! I really need to keep the kids on task with this.

I need to pick up some more freelance work. I am also debating whether to put my name in for subbing in the Fall. I have still have two kindergarten kids home 1/2 the day.

No comments: