Sunday, January 06, 2013

How can a teenager make money without a real job

Got a question in my inbox 

I am 14 years old so I am not old enough to get a "real" job at Burger King or a grocery store , but I would still like to earn some money. I'm hoping to save $1000 by the end of the year. What are some things that I can do to make money even though I am not old enough to have a real job?



There are lots of non-traditional jobs that you can do. Here are a few ideas.

Babysitting
Dog walking
Cat/Plant sitting (for neighors on vacation
Mowing lawns and raking leaves
Shoveling snow
Tutoring younger children


My first job was babysitting my neighbors kids.  I would do it weekends and nights mostly starting at age 13.   The summer between 8th grade and high school I babysat for 3 kids for $50 a week for 2 days.   When that family went on vacation I went and feed their cats     My mom would take a percentage for savings for me and the rest I could do with spending money.  

My oldest son is almost 14 and they can be very social wanting to go out.  He needs some spending money and he get some allowance.    He watches our next door neighbor  2 boys on 3  days week when they get off the school bus and between their mom gets home-about 45 minutes a day.  She gives him $20  a week for that.  For him that is really plenty of spending money.  However the "mom tax" comes in. I take 50% and currently that is going towards his 8th grade trip.   He did go on a ski trip with CYO over Christmas break that he had to break into the "mom tax"    The neigbors did us to take care of their dog over school vacation.  My son will be the primary care taker of them and he will get the money for that.  He will need to walk them and feed them on a daily basis. 


No comments: