Saturday, September 16, 2006

Have you been scammed in a work at home business?

The moms over at the Wahm bloggers network want to know.

Yes, scammed 1 time and duped a second time.

We had moved into our new house back in 1996 and I said it would be great to be able to find something I could make some extra money with. I think I saw the ad in the local classifieds.

Make Money Stuffing Envelopes! Hundreds or thousands a dollar a week. Send a $1.00 and a prepaid stamped envelope to....

I was a little naive. I wasn't on the Internet back then. I sent my envelope to the post office box. A few weeks later I receive my envelope back.

The details were...
For every envelope stuffed you earn $1 or $2 or some other amount.
They asked for an up-front fee of $29.95 or more just to make sure "you're serious" about their envelope stuffing program. They had success stories. Jeannie was a struggling single mom before you found this system. Dumb me, I sent my $29.96 and waited for my next steps. I got the scam at this point, I need to advertise and wait for others to follow the scam. No way was I going to do that.

And where I was duped...
My name must have gotten on some work at home list because in the spring of 1997 I received this yellow little booklet with a beautiful house. Are you tired of working at your job, is your boss a jerk, and the all-American dream working for yourself in your own home business. I called the 800 number and got another package of information mailed to me. They couldn't tell me the name of the company but it still sounded intriguing and I got my credit card to pay $34.95 for more details. Eventually I found it was Herbalife. That stuff was terrible and I had these high level pressure people calling me all the time to buy the product to sell or others or recruit others. I ended up buying a lot of product that was never sold and I could sell it back to company at a 50% discount I would need my upline's permission. It got nasty at that point. I eventually got back some of my money. While Herbalife is a legit company I don't like their business practice.

Check out the wahm bloggers story for more stories of avoiding scams .

3 comments:

Admin said...

Thank you for participating in the wahm bloggers network qotw Have you ever fallen victim to a work at home scam?

Wahm reveal if they have been scammed

Anonymous said...

Live and learn! These things happen...and that's how we learn. I always remember a saying when something good happens you tell 3 people, when something bad happens...you tell 10! Letting others know from the past help them in the future.

Admin said...

I have lived and learned. I think the internet is a great resource for researching however too many people are still being scammed these days as well.