Thursday, April 20, 2006

Is it a sacrifice for me to be an at home mom?

The questions of the week at Work at home Mom Bloggers Network is What do you sacrifice to stay home with your children.

It is sort of the age old questions stay at home mom vs working moms. Which one is better for the kids. Mention it or question the decision on any "Mom boards" and there are flames being thrown from each side. Or watch a Dr Phil be referee when the he has tackled this heated debate. I think each family needs to make the decision themselves. Moms need to ask themselves "What choices are best for me so that I can be the happiest person I can be?"

My family's decision was for me to stay at home. I worked part-time with my oldest. It was a challenge however we were fortunate to have my mother, sister in law and mother in law assist in child care. When I found we were having twins, that made the decision for me to stay home. However we really didn't prepare financially for it. I have made references in the past about how sick I was about our financial situation.

That being said, staying home with the kids is the best decision for me. I really do not find it a sacrifice. So I don't get a new spring wardrobe or spend money on getting my hair and nails done all the time. We may not be able to have the newest mini-van on the block, getting our yard professionally done or taking the annual trip to Disney They were not all that important to me in the first place. However being able to cuddle on the couch at 2pm with one of the kids or volunteer at school is well worth it. Money can still be tight, but we manage with me being the home executive.

No comments: