Tuesday, September 04, 2007

How long do you drive your car?

Well according to CNN I should be driving my cars for 15 year or 225,000. We currently have 2 cars- one a 1996 Dodge caravan which we bought on Labor day weekend 1999. It currently have 103,000 miles on it. This is my husband going to work car. He drives about 20 miles a day on it. It is starting to show wear and tear on it after our 8 years of owning it. It has been paid off for 5 years now.

Will we get 4 more years out of it? Another 120,000 miles on it? I doubt it. I thought I was being good shooting for 9 or 10 years for owning the car.

Our second car, another mini-van 2001 Chrysler town and country. This is my car! We got it just over 2 years ago. It has 47,000 miles on it. Will it last another 9 years-maybe! I am sure going to try to baby it!!

Here are some of the tips:

have much hope of making it to 200,000 miles, a car has to be well maintained, of course. The magazine recommends several steps to help your car see it through.

  • Follow the maintenance guide in your owner's manual and make needed repairs promptly.
  • Use only the recommended types of fluids, including oil and transmission fluids.
  • Check under the hood regularly. Listen for strange sounds, sniff for odd smells and look for fraying or bulges in pipes or belts. Also, get a vehicle service manual. They're available at most auto parts stores or your dealership.
  • Clean the car carefully inside and out. This not only helps the car's appearance but can prevent premature rust. Vacuuming the inside also prevents premature carpet wear from sand and grit.
  • Buy a safe, reliable car. Buying a car with the latest safety equipment makes it more likely you'll feel as safe in your aging car as a newer model.
The highest rated models include a Toyota and a Honda, which is no suprise. Our next car purchase will probably be a used Toyota or Honda and drive it forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a believer in driving your car to the ground, or when fixing it costs more than the replacement value of the car. My last car I drove to the ground and we invested on a Toyota that we intend to own for at least 10 years. My husband's car was bought used 2 1/2 years ago and we intend for him to drive it for a few more years as well, then it will be replaced with another Toyota.
I just think that it's crazy to change cars every 5 years or so. Considering that most people finance their car, a car payment is such a budget drain nowadays. I know that we couldn't afford me to be a SAHM if we had a car payment. This is why we are saving as much as we can to be able to put down a lot of money the next time we have to buy a car.

I would say if your car is driving safely, then keep it for as long as it is feasible.