Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Young families and emergencies

While at my mother's house on Sunday evening, my mom got a call from my aunt. We immediately knew from the Oh Sh**T that it wasn't good news and thought immediately it was my uncle. However it was my 28 year old cousin who was in the hospital and thought he had a stroke.

That knocked the stuffing out of me. My cousin is also the primary breadwinner for his beautiful family, a wife and 2 young daughter 4 and 1 years old. They also bought a home 2 years ago. He was doing well at his job and just got a promotion.

Some of my worst money financial fears include loosing my husband or him loosing the ability to work.

All Young families should have the following check list:

1) Disability insurance usually this is a job benefit take advantage of it
2) Life insurance while you work does offer it, get a separate term life policy
3) Emergency fund While my cousin may have disability insurance times like this is when you do not need the extra stress of paying bills .
4) Medical Insurance You never know when an accident or a medical emergency will hit.


Joining in with Mom for the Weekend Rewind Blog Hop Linky thingy... do join in!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am dealing with disability insurance in Canada and stories like this are very usual. You have nice family, prospective job, life insurance and - something happens. It doesn't have to be a big deal, maybe you can just loose your finger, burn your hand... but your career is ruined (if you are brain surgeon for example). Disability insurance can guarantee you dignified life!

MultipleMum said...

That must have been quite a scare for your cousin. I do hope he has recovered. A timely reminder to get the financials up to date! Thanks for joining the Rewind and hopping! x