Sunday, July 24, 2005

Did your learn your money habits from your mom?

My parents have a vacation home that my Dad built with his bare hands over 20 years ago that is more beautiful in my house that I live in day to day. My parents decided to build a second home and this home and their first home are completely paid off. Luck, no, hard work absolutely yes.

My Mom and Dad have been married 37 years this September. My Dad came over to this country with nothing in 1964 as he often tells us. My Mom was the oldest daughter of two Irish parents and lived in atleast one dozen apartments while she was growing up. She would have to go to the grocery store each day after school to pick up the food for the next day. Till this day, she still hates that Needless to say, my emptynest parents have cabinets filled with food. My brother and sister joke that we could do grocery shopping from their pantry.

I don't want to say my Mom was cheap while I was growing up, but she knew how to manage a household budget. And she knew how to stretch a dollar. Atleast until I was in college, we were primarily a one income household. Mom was there every day afterschool and we went to Catholic school. Dad was in construction. They didn't talk about money while I was kid but I never felt without.

I honestly do not know if I got my money habits from my mom. My mom looks at me crazy when I talk about online banking. She just started using an ATM this year-she always paid cash for everything. Paying cash and not pulling out a credit card is one thing I do remember. That is one thing I get from her.

Did you get your money habits from you mom? MSN just wrote a series of articles about women and money. If you want to read them, Women and money


No comments: