Wednesday, September 21, 2005

100 things about my money life

100 things about my money life.


1. I don't need a plasma tv My 27 inch tv that cost less than $300 is fine.
2. I don't need tivo, if I want to record something. I got a vcr.
3. I don't have an Ipod, I got plenty of CDs and the radio
4. satellite radio doesn't interest me. My local talk and music stations come in fine in my house and car. I do not mind the commericals.
5. I rarely go to the movie theatre these days unless it is free movies for the kids.
6. Instead we rent them via netflix
7. We do have cable tv, but I refuse upgrade to digital tv.
8. I am nervous about heating costs so we locked in the rate this year.
9. I am nervous about retirement savings.
10.I had dh bump up his 401k contribution to 11%.
11.I have zero credit card debt
12. I haven't used a credit card since July 2000.
13. I found out I was a credit card tart
14. Since I surfed our credit card balances in England they call that tarting.
15. We use our debit cards.
16 I do get mad at DH when he charges on the debit card for a few dollars.
17. I manage the budget. DH could care less.
18. I do have list for him, just in case.
19. He did have to use the list when I ended up in the hospital during my pregnancy for several weeks.
20. I do have one car loan which should be paid off within 18 months.
21. I am on Dave Ramsey' Baby step number 3 but I don't follow all of his rules.
22. Like his advice about stopping retirement contributions while paying down your debt.
23. I am building up my emergency fund to 6-9 months worth of income.
24. I listen to money shows on the radio including the Money Experts onin Boston and Bob Brinker. I listen to Dave on his website.
25. I worked in the insurance business before becoming a work at home mom.
26. I first worked in the whole life and variable life departments
27. I sold annuities. Alot of financial experts are not crazy about it.
28. I had my securities licenses but it is no longer valid
29. Since I no longer work. it expires after two years.
30. I don't have whole life insurance but a term life policy on me and my husband.
31. I own my house.
32. I do have a mortgage that will be done in 2028.
33. I hope to pay it off sooner
34. I did refinance the mortgage in 1998.
35. I did have to pay PMI for years.
36. I have to review my house owner's insurance to see about replacement costs.
37. I doubt we will move from this house
38. Some consider it a starter house but it works out fine for us.
39. I like my town, good schools, nice neigbhorhoods.
40. I live in Walmart
41`. I have a budget catagory called Walmart
42. I buy Walmart brand diapers
43. There are no Super walmarts in my state
44. I buy my food at the regular grocery store.
45. I use a pricebook at the grocery store.
46. I use a menu plan to keep my food budget down.
47. Saturday nights that menu plans usually goes out the window.
48. I am not organized enough to use coupons.
49. I buy a lot of generic brand foods.
50. I go to the bread store and get good deals there
51. I have a Christmas budget.
52. DH and I always say don't buy each gifts let's focus on the kids.
53. That never works.
54. We do a yankee swap with all of my cousin on my mother's side of the family
55. I try to think of unique gifts to give the teachers
56. or atleast things they will use
57. My mother used to give Jean nate each year to my teachers.
58. The past few years, I have give Movie baskets to the teachers which include a gift card, popcorn, a drink and some snacks.
59. I did that for the yankee swap but included a 6 pack of beer instead.
60. DH has a yankee swap at work and he did the movie basket as well, it was a bigger hit there than with my family.
61. I do regift
62. I do reuse gift bags
63. I have to buy wrapping paper from my son's school this year for a fundraiser.
64. Atleast it is better than the crap they sold last year.
66. I hate school fundraisers
67. We need to buy new 4th grade textbooks for social studies since they are from 1987.
68. I was still in high school and working at a bakery.
69. My first job was in a library ,My second in a bakery I worked in a Duncan Donuts for 2 weeks until one of the bakers got a little two close for comfort. I worked in convenience store during my senior year of high school. The night manager was a little creepy.
70.I got paid very little but gave me enough spending money. Minimum wage was at $3.35.
71. I have no idea what minimum wage is now.
72. I worked during college.
73. My parents paid for college.
74. I went to a state college
75. I don't have any student loans
76. My brother and sister went to private school and still have college loans.
77. I met my husband at college.
78. I was a cheap date.
79. He never used a credit card or had a checking account before me.
80. We merged funds before we were married but never lived in sin
81. I managed the money back then too.
82. I don't beleive in separate checking account for married couples.
81. I often wonder if I would be able to survive if I become a single mom with 3 kids.
82. I think we need more life insurance. DH smokes so that is probably unrealistic
83. Our life insurance would cover our mortgage plus give us another $100k.
84. I would need to get back in the workforce
85. And give up my nice cushy work at home business to pay the bills.
86. Well really just health insurance
87. I hate dealing my health insurance company
88. They lost one my son's records not once but twice in their system
89. Said two children in the same family could not have the same Date of birth,so they thought it was a mistake.
90. I have twins. Twins have the same date of birth Nuff said
91. I will make sure my kids go to college
92. We are saving for their college in 529 plans.
93. I will not take out a home equity loan to pay for college
94. I am filling up my gas tank today. It was $2.75 at the station down the street.
95. I haven't filled up my tank since the week before Katrina.
96. I don't drive much.
97. They just said with gas could go up to $4.00 a gallon with Hurricane Rita on the radio.
98. I will have to adjust the gas budget again.
99. DH's work isn't that far.
100. To borrow one of Suze Orman phrases "It's people first, then money, then things".

No comments: