Sunday, July 09, 2006

Have I sold my soul to the devil?



Getting paid to post at http://www.payperpost.com

Yes I am doing it and have I sold my soul to the devil? Well, according to some bloggers I have.


While the concept isn't exactly new there are a few companies that have been offering bloggers a few bucks, the latest one is causing quite a stir in the blogging word. Some are saying that Ted Murphy who started www.payperpost.com is the devil and paying per post is going to be the end of blogging as we know it. Let the drama begin. I think it is good idea for companies to get exposure.

I'm trying to earn a few dollars here and there since I am a frugal work at home momma. Earning the $5 or $10 here or there isn't going to make me rich but will help pad my Disney fund or pay a little extra on my car.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the main problem people have with PayPerPost is that it doesn't require you to disclose that you're being paid to write the article. Assuming someone prominently and fully states in the article that they're being paid to write it, I don't have a problem with it. But I've been keeping an eye on the opportunities listed on PayPerPost, and I've already stopped reading and removed blogroll links to two sites that wrote PPP posts without disclosing it in the article. I'll be staying away from PayPerPost because, in my mind, it's instant death to the credibility of the blogger.

Kira said...

Well, my knee jerk response is that posting anonymously also destroys your credibility, but what do I know. ;)

PayPerPost requires you to put a rather large image in your post, so everyone is going to know it's a paid post. I'm not sure how the posts you read hid this image, but I don't see any problem with people reviewing it, and I don't see why their motivations for writing the review should change how you feel about them. Rather, if their blog stops being interesting and fills up with paid shills, then that would be a reason to stop reading. But just because somebody is making a buck or two off something that they might write about anyway doesn't bother me.

I think the idea is probably not going to go very far simply by economics. People whose blogs are large and well-read probably get a lot more than a measly $2.50 from their advertising - so the only people for whom it may be a financial incentive are the ones with small blogs with little traffic, comparatively. So the payperpost people won't be getting quite the bang for their buck that they wanted.

The short answer I guess is that I don't think it's selling out unless you purposely pervert the goals of your blog. And they can always just skip the paid blog posts if they want.

Anonymous said...

I get decent traffic and revenue from my blogs however as my husband is the primary provider of income, a few extra dollars is our slush fund.

My blog is my blog, so... if I want to write and get paid I will do it. I signed up too. And no I don't think you sold your soul to the devil.

Admin said...

Thank you for participating in this week's Wahm Bloggers Network QOTW Do you participate in getting paid to post blogging?

WAHM reveal thoughts on getting paid to post.