Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Six ways to save on your food bill

The Today show had a segment on saving money on your food bill. No earth shattering secrets revealed to a frugal momma like me, but for the average American who needs to cut down their grocery bill. Here are their tips and what I do to keep my food budget lean and mean.

Stockpile

I call using a pricebook which is simply tracking when stores have sales on certain items.

The sales cycle through the categories. So a smart cherry picker loads up on the item on sale, double and triple couponing if possible, and creates a stash at home — a pantry that resembles a store.

A full cup website matches up the sales with the latest coupons for all the major grocery stores and drug stores

Steer clear of processed foods

Cooking from stratch is what I do! My crockpot and recipes are my best friends here. However alot of the coupons she mentioned to use above are on the processed food.

Don’t shop, and say you did

A pantry challenge! We do this sometimes all week if money is tight that is why stockpiling is very important.

Shop online
I haven't done it. I may try it one day.

Amazon has a subscribe and save feature 



When you order through our Subscribe & Save program, you'll:
• Automatically receive a new shipment of the item in the monthly intervals you select
• Receive a discount off our every day price
• Receive FREE shipping on every Subscribe & Save shipment that arrives on your monthly Subscribe & Save delivery day
• Pay for each order only when the item is shipped
• Have the option to cancel at any time 



Make lists
I love my grocery  lists and my  frugal weekly menu


Check the


Today show segment

No comments: