Sunday, January 06, 2008

Those scary debit cards

While waiting in the long line at the grocery store, a Reader's Digest cover article catch my attention!

Avoid These Debit Card Traps New scams, fees, and traps to avoid.
Since I use a debit card for the majority of my purchases I needed to check it out. I don't want to be scammed and don't want to be trapped either.

When Brad Lipman took his family out for dinner in July 2006, he had no idea it would end up costing him $1,800. Lipman paid for the $60 meal with his debit card. After the waiter took the card, someone swiped it through a portable "skimmer." This handheld electronic device allowed the thief to copy Lipman's account information and security codes, and clone his card.


Scary thoughts-quite an introduction. This could happen with a credit card as well.

Many people wrongly assume that debit cards offer the same protection against fraud as credit cards. But when a debit card is stolen or copied, there's no grace period while you contest the charges. Your cash has already been electronically zapped from your checking account
Visa and MasterCard branded debit cards both have Zero Liability policies when no PIN number has been entered. Banks are allowed up to 10 days to research disputed debit card transactions before making any credits. So you maybe a jam if they emptied out your entire checking account.


We rarely use a debit card except for when we are traveling for business or pleasure. Hotels often put a huge hold on your money.

Check out the article at Reader's Digest a little the sky is falling. Being a smart and informed consumer is your best bet!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this in your blog. I was very pleased to see that Reader's Digest had an interest in my story. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or if you would like to learn more about my company that I formed as a result of what happened. My website is www.noskimmers.com