Friday, September 14, 2012

Frugal Five Meet Maggie

Maggie is a frugal mom with 2  kids ranging from   21 and 16 years old from Rhode Island 


What is your financial life?

I have been primarily  stay at home mom to 2  boys  and have a great husband that I have been married for 22 years. For many years, my husband and I lived on one  income. It  has been a challenge and we've struggled a lot along the way. We do have a mortgage and believe in paying cash. Things are ok now and I'd like to keep them that way and "save for a rainy day" While I don't believe in using credit cards, I have never really saved money.  I have only been back in the workforce for the past 5 years working in a doctor's office. that money has really gone towards my oldest college money.  He lives at home and goes to the local state college. He is pretty good about contributing as well. I don't want him to get student loans.   My main concern is retirement we are still 20 plus years away from that  but I feel that we don't have enough money saved and are behind the 8 ball. 


What is your budget buster?

Feeding 2   growing   boys! They eat eat and eat! I am always looking for healthy and filling recipes. 

What is your favorite money saving tip?

Pay in cash. If you can not afford it  Don't buy it.  I am a huge fan of Suze Orman and love her Can I afford segment on tv 


If you had an extra $1000 what would you do with it?

I would put it towards my emergency  fund. 

What is your best resource for frugal living?

Living bellow  your means I follow a frugal mom message boardsI keep a calendar  and write on it if I spend or spend "allowable" or no spend. It helps keep me accountable. The first month I did it, I was surprised how many times I spent on a whim.  Each month I do better, last month I only spent on allowable items (groceries, things I have budgeted for). I'm still working on my extra spending like eating out for lunch, but I am a work in progress and I try not to be too hard on myself. 

Do you want to be featured on the Frugal Five  contact us through our facebook page 

No comments: